Monday, August 20, 2007

More Demolotion?

Alone in the house with a newly rehabilitated reciprocating saw, I decided to remove an abandoned waste line. Doing this will open up a place where I can drain the washer.

Here is the first section I dropped. I was able to saw through part of it because it is steel, not cast iron.

Here are the blades, starting to wear down after a few cuts.


It don't all cut so easy, though. Some of it really is cast iron, and the blades could not even crack the surface. But a hammer does. Here is where I stopped, at the other side of the house after removing about 12 to 15 feet of old pipe. The joints were sealed with lead - and the seal is a cylinder about 4" long and about 3/8 of an inch thick. I have to remove one more coupling, an elbow, and another foot or more of pipe that couples with a line that goes down to the sewer. Got any ideas on HOW I can do that? I can't bash all the pipe with a hammer for fear of breaking a seal I can't reach or cracking a piece of pipe I want to keep together.


No comments: