Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hanging a Door On a New Jamb And Hanging a Headboard

I hate dealing with doors. I hate dealing with hinges. I hate dealing with chisels. Here we go. 

First, taking a tip from my brother, I use the old door jamb as a gauge and I clamp it side-by-side with the new one. 

I mark where the hinges will be on the jamb.



I can't cut a straight line too well, either, so why not use a metal guide to help while I score the wood and start chiseling?


 Let's start taking some wood out. Carefully. Here I remember Mr. Hackett's words: "You can take wood away, but you can't put it back." He was my shop teacher from 6th to 9th grade. He said lots of things like that, and "there are two ends to every board." I usually took them to be metaphorical.



Now I check the hinges with the door, which is still being finished, and make sure it all looks good. I have bored the holes already and set the screws after clamping and measuring the distance between the door and the jamb along the hinges.


We got our mattress in the room and then set out to put up the homemade headboard. We bought a "French Cleat", with a capacity of 200lbs, to hang it. I figure that's safe/


Putting the wall part on was easy because it comes already furnished with special screws that don't require an anchor to be set first.


Voila.

Jennifer about to sleep in our room, on our new bed, for the first time since May.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work, Pablo.