Thursday, June 25, 2009

Roof Woes

I am not sure why the previous owner(s) did this, but the gutters are integrated into the roof. Look down the valley to where two black lines converge. That's a hole in my roof at the convergence. Water collects against 2x4s buried under paper and shingles slanted toward this hole. The hole goes into a downspout and on this side runs through the foyer in my son's room. It also leaks. I found out recently that it's because it clogs easily with the sees from local trees. When that happens, the water does not drain and backs up underneath the shingles. Ironically, I think the design was done to prevent ice dams from forming and causing water to back up under the shingles. Until I can afford to fix the entire roof, I gotta patch this and live with it.


Here's a different problem. I think that, instead of lapping the shingles properly in this valley, they cut them at the vertex and expected the flashing to take care of everything. It don't, and now I have a small leak when the wind blows rain in here. What's funny is that it runs in, then under the rafter, down to the wall, and in at exactly one point where there happens to be a sheet rock screw near said rafter's covergence with the top sill of my bed room wall.



And this is what a squirrel does to your roof. I had to beat on this area with a stick every time I heard the squirrel because I don't have a ladder and I could not get up here to fix the hole. Still, he opened it up enough to put a nest inside. I got him out (yes, I killed him) but then some birds made a nest. I think they left after I poked around here too many times.

I will probably do the roof myself. While I like the hard work, I do NOT like the heights. Time to call Ken.

No comments: